Gaining a beautiful smile, better chewing ability and bite, and corrected speech are benefits of realigning your teeth. If you are trying to decide between braces or Invisalign, keep reading for a short list of differences and benefits of each; Invisalign and braces, and which works faster.
In most instances, clear aligners, known as Invisalign, work as fast as metal or ceramic braces, but there are differences that should be considered. Dr. Joseph’s Dentistry specializes in Invisalign tooth realignment. Read more in this article about the differences between braces and Invisalign.
What are the relative differences between clear aligner trays (Invisalign) and braces?
The visual look:
- Metal braces are offered in fun colours or clear (a colour that closely matches your tooth colour) made from ceramic.
- Created with technological 3D scanners and printers from a bio-compatible polyurethane resin, Invisalign liners are clear and the least visible of all teeth aligning systems.
- Your trays are created by Invisalign based on very precise measurements/impressions/ photos taken by Dr. Joseph and his team at their beautiful, downtown office in London, Ontario.
Effectiveness at realigning teeth:
- Metal braces and ceramic braces use elastics and wires running through the brackets that are regularly tightened and adjusted every month and are worn anywhere from one to three years.
- Braces are far more effective than Invisalign for acute or compound tooth misalignment. (In fact, Invisalign cannot be used in these instances) The timeframe for these cases can extend to many years.
- A new set of aligner trays replace the previous set every two to six weeks, depending on the complexity of the teeth misalignment.
- Your new set is delivered at Dr. Joseph’s Dentistry during a regular appointment.
- Invisalign is worn approximately 22 hours a day and typically works faster than braces at teeth realignment.
Ease of oral upkeep:
Because braces are attached directly to the tooth with a type of glue, they require quite a bit of upkeep; plaque can build up around the braces, and consistent dental cleaning is recommended to avoid stains. Flossing and brushing are often a challenge.
Because liners can be removed, daily oral hygiene is easy. The aligners must be removed for meals, and teeth must be cleaned before replacing.
- Braces are preferred for people who may not have the diligence or self-discipline to put on the Invisalign aligners when necessary.
- Self-discipline is essential with tray aligners. Younger children benefit from braces if their self-directed responsibility is unlikely.
What are the overall benefits of each; Invisalign and braces?
Benefits of braces:
- Metal braces are more cost-effective than ceramic (discreetly coloured) braces or Invisalign.
- Self-discipline is not required.
- Braces are the best solution for complex dental problems.
- They cannot get lost like removable aligners.
- Braces are durable.
Benefits of Invisalign:
- Invisalign typically realigns teeth faster than regular braces.
- Invisalign is visually more discreet than braces.
- Usually, it is the most comfortable solution.
- It is easier to keep teeth clean during the treatment.
Please call us to discuss if you or your children may be candidates for Invisalign.
(519) 672 5600
Alternatively, contact us here.
The Canadian Academy of Dental Health & Community Sciences: Braces vs Liners / Dental Assistant Training 2017